Monday, September 29, 2014

Good Measure: The Must Have Bangle

Just when I thought I was finishing up my fall fashion must haves, I found something I just could not leave unmentioned. The Peace Bomb Bangle from Article 22.


Peace Bomb Bangle

I was lucky enough to pay a rare Marin Co. visit to Half Hitch Goods, the impeccably curated roving store on wheels owned and operated by Carrie Caillouette.  Carrie thoughtfully selects items that are expertly crafted, inspire the spirit of giving, and share rich and meaningful stories. Half Hitch Goods is my favorite place to find rare and unique gifts.


Half Hitch Goods + Carrie Caillouette

Carrie not only puts together displays that please the eye, but she can tell you an incredible story about each and every piece she carries in the shop. I picked up a few things from Carrie on this visit and I'll share more with you on Wednesday, but for now, let me tell you the story of the Peace Bomb Bangle.

The U.S. dropped over 250 million bombs on Laos during the Vietnam War. Many of these bombs did not detonate and continue to pose a threat to Laotian farming practices and way of life. The Mines Advisory Group works tirelessly to collect the undetonated bombs and now passes the metal on to local villagers who have resourcefully created a technique to melt and cast the metal. Article 22 works with the villagers, who are paid 4x the local rate, to design accessories that can be sold in a competitive market to help further support their community.




The Peace Bomb Bangle I purchased at Half Hitch Goods is one of many designs available from Article 22. I was drawn to it before I heard the story and when Carrie shared the meaning behind the piece I knew it was something I wanted to wear.

Bangles are a great accessory to invest in this season, whether you stack them, go big and bold, or keep it simple like I have decided to do with one really meaningful and impactful piece.

xoxo

Lisa


Original photography, art direction + styling for Zelma Rose by Lisa Anderson Shaffer

No comments:

Post a Comment