Friday, January 6, 2012

Feature Friday: Wedding Pocket Squares

Welcome to my very first Feature Friday post!  Expect to get a special peek inside my San Francisco studio every Friday for photos of what I have been working on that week, successes, failures and everything in between. This week I have been working on, among other things, a custom order of  Zelma Rose Dry Goods Pocket Squares for a very special wedding.  

All hand stitched and ready for the signature ZRDG zig-zag stitch border.
 
I can't say enough about what an honor it is to be making something for a customer's wedding.  I work with customers to create pocket squares for all sorts of special occasions.  Everything from weddings, to proms, business events, and even awards shows.  When I think about the careful thought I put into what I will wear to an important event or special occasion I am so very humbled by the trust and appreciation of my customers.  To be a very small part of a person's special memory is simply awesome.     

ZRDG Pocket Squares are double sided to provide a perfect fold.

First round of zig-zag stitching.  I love the grey!
 
This particular order called for one of my favorite fabrics.  A beautiful black and brown patterned Japanese cotton featuring bunnies in motion.  I adore the print and the cotton is just a dream to work with.  I sell this pocket square ready made with a rosy pink accent stitch, but my customer requested grey on this very special order and I have to say, it looks great!  My customers have the best taste!

Zig-zaggin with my trusty Singer

All zigged and zagged

I'm often asked, "Why are ZRDG Pocket Squares double sided?" It is unusual, I'll admit.  As far as I know, I'm the only one makin 'em that way.  Traditional pocket squares and handkerchiefs are one piece of fabric with a rolled hem.  Handkerchiefs are primarily made to be used and fit slenderly in the back pocket.  Pocket squares, traditionally made with silk, are meant to be worn as an accent piece and add interest to a wardrobe.  I think that if you are going to choose a pocket square to accent your wardrobe, then accent it with something that is really special and created to stand out from the crowd.  Why not?! Using two pieces of fabric creates the perfect surface for a really well crafted specialty fold, sure to get noticed.  (For all you wondering about different pocket square folds, I love this Brooks Brothers tutorial).  I want you to look your best, it's as simple as that!

All set & ready to go!

Gosh this fabric is gorgeous!


Thanks for joining me in the studio for Feature Friday.  Post your questions and ideas below, I'd love to know your pocket square thoughts! Stop by next week to see what I've been up to!

xoxo

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment