Sunday, March 23, 2014

Good Measure: Classics Endure

I'm dedicating Good Measure this week to a few of my favorite classics. The sure sign of a tried and true classic in my book is if it stands the test of time and can be worn by he + she. 

With this definition in mind there seems to be no truer classic than the "Chuck." Converse All Stars have been a part of my wardrobe since the 6th grade. I remember my first pair, peach high tops. They were rad then and truth be told if my foot hadn't kept growing they would probably still be gracing the floor of my closet. Perfect for he + she and made for the early spring time weather a good pair of Chucks will make any outfit an instant classic. I like to wear mine with a straight leg skinny jean, I'm partial to the Matchstick cut from JCrew, a V-neck t a ZR necklace and lots of gold bracelets. 

A good watch can be the backbone of a look. Funny now that we don't rely on them so much anymore, the watch has really become a statement piece rather than a timepiece. Watches don't get much more classic than the Patek Philippe. I am lucky enough to have my husband's grandfather's Patek. It was given to Harry on October 1, 1961 as a retirement gift from Harrison Walker Refractory. The watch is set in Rose gold and has a stretch gold plate band that I just can't part with. While this style was made for a men's wrist, I have always loved the chunky feel of an oversized watch. 

And then there's the Hummingbird. If you don't play guitar, you really should. What are you waiting for? Gibson is a classic and for the loyal fans, nothing else sounds quite the same. You either love or loathe the sound. I bought my crazy one of a kind Gibson Hummingbird when I first moved to San Francisco a million years ago. It's a 1976 factory second and the entire guitar is stained cherry instead of sunburst because of a dark piece of wood that was placed front center of the body. To say I love this guitar would be an understatement. It is an enduring classic in my life and I plan on passing it down to my daughter someday. 

What are the classics in your wardrobe?

xoxo

Lisa 

Original photography, art direction + styling for Zelma Rose by Lisa Anderson Shaffer

No comments:

Post a Comment