Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Identity Project


Sarah Deragon - Founder of The Identity Project

Those of you who are faithful ZR followers know that I owe all my beautiful model photography to my friend, colleague, and all around partner in crime Sarah Deragon of Portraits To The People. Not only does Sarah take great portraits, but we work so well together! Our shoots are always relaxed and fun and of course full of great 90's hip hop. As part of Sarah's body of work as a photographer, she ventured out to start a fine art personal project this year and those of us lucky enough to be in SF couldn't be happier. Simply put, The Identity Project is an exploration of the ways we choose to define ourselves and our sexuality.

San Francisco has a reputation for anything goes and thank god for that! To this day, we can all pretty much agree to disagree, be one thing by day and the polar opposite by night, and define ourselves however we choose. One of my favorite things about San Francisco is the way we choose to define ourselves with a wide focus. We may be part of one thing, but that doesn't mean we cannot be a part of many things. I see this reflected in fashion all the time, and why not! Fashion is one of the ways we can define our ever changing selves and when it comes to how we present ourselves to the world, in San Francisco we do it with never ending creativity and exuberance. We pretty much love who we are and isn't that damn refreshing?!

Needless to say I love the images that Sarah has captured. I think it is about time we all take the reigns on how we want to be identified. I also love the way the participants have chosen to identify themselves. When I think of my own identity, it would probably be a paragraph. I like that Sarah is leading the charge of identity being many things, all at once. We are, after all, a sum of our parts.

You will find some of my favorite images from the Identity Project below.  I picked a few friendly faces, including one you might recognize as one of the ZR models. While I love the poses, passion, and photography, I also kind of love the fashion. Kudos Sarah on a great start to a project that will no doubt be epic!

Sarah Deragon 2014
Sarah Deragon 2014
Sarah Deragon 2014
Sarah Deragon 2014
Sarah Deragon 2014












No comments:

Post a Comment